Saturday 6 June 2020

On Self Isolation, Holidays and Boycott


Sandy and George are old friends.  They are used to seeing each other frequently during the summer as they watch cricket together.  This summer they haven't seen each other for some time, until they ran into each other today queuing to get into a well-known supermarket. They are men of few words.  Fantasy Bob couldn't help overhearing their conversation.
George?

Sandy?

(Pause)

George?

(Longer pause)

What?

I haven't seen you since the end of last season.  What have you been doing?

I've been self isolating.  I'm locked up.

You mean locked down.

No, locked up.  Jean took away the key.

That wife of yours is a strict woman all right.

She is, and that's not the half of it.  She says I'm not getting out till I pass the test.

You've not been doing your piloting lessons again have you?

No, the COVID test.  So I've been swotting up.  I know all there is to know.  I reckon I'll pass it easy.

It's not that kind of test.   Anyway you're out now - did you test negative?

No, I climbed out the window.  Jean took the car, said she was away to get an eyetest.  So I've come to get something for my tea.  A couple of empire biscuits would be nice.

Indeed.  Are you missing the cricket?

Like blazes.  

They say it might be starting again in August.

August - that's hopeless I'm on my summer holidays then.

You going anywhere special?

Jean says she got a very cheap deal in Minnesota.

That sounds like fun.

Yes, she says the place is a riot.

Did you hear the news?  About Boycott?

Who?

Geoffrey Boycott.  

Oh, that Boycott.  

He's been dropped.

About time - I always thought he scored too slowly.

Not from the team - from commentating.

So there'll be no more corridor of uncertainty...

...and no more Mother hitting it with a stick of rhubarb...

...and no more Grannie catching it in her pinny.....

...and no more just add two wickets to the score....

...and no more I'd book in for bed and breakfast on that wicket....

...and no more that were wasted on him...

...and no more show him the maker's name.

It's the end of an era.

Things'll never be the same.

(They sigh deeply together)

(They sigh again even more deeply)

Did you like him?

Boycott?  Couldn't stand him.

Me neither. 

1 comment:

  1. Ian Chappell once commented that Boycott's batting didn't keep him awake at night and also sent him to sleep during the day. Fortunately his commentary was more entertaining and Aggers did enjoy winding him up, which added an extra element of interest.

    ReplyDelete