Monday 15 June 2020

On Greyfriars Bobby, luck and Neil McKenzie

Sandy.

George.

Another day another queue.

Aye.  What's this one for?

No idea.

I was hoping it might be Primark.

They're not open yet in Scotland.

Oh Jean'll be disappointed.  She said I've to get myself some new pants.

Well, it's only essential shops are open. 

The state of my pants, this is essential.

So how was your weekend?

Terrible - I'm really missing the cricket.

But it was pouring down on Saturday - it would have been off.

So if it had been on, it would have been off.

The lad across the road from us had some weekend though.  He's some funny ideas.  He says he spent all Saturday guarding a statue.

Really, what statue?

Greyfriars Bobby.  He's even got his old BB uniform out.

No.

I told him I didn't think Greyfriars Bobby was under threat.  But he said he wasn't taking any chances.   He said someone had put a mask on him. 

Did they?

He was outraged.  Says that if they could do that then there's no telling what they might do next.

I suppose the mask would mean people couldn't rub its nose.

I rub its nose every time I pass it.  Just for luck.

Aye, you were always superstitious at the cricket.  You'd to do exactly the same thing before every match.  Wear the same clothes.  Sit in the same place.  Every match.

It brought me luck.

Same rituals.  Week in week out.

It helped my performance.

You had a batting average of 4.4.

Just think how much worse it would have been without all that good luck.

I suppose you were a mild case compared to some.  Did you ever hear about Neil McKenzie?

Who?

Neil McKenzie - he was a Saffy.  He also played for Hampshire for a few years.

Oh that Neil McKenzie.

Well this lad was super-superstitious.  He had to ensure that all the toilet seats in the changing room were down before he went out to bat.

Well that wouldn't have worked with us.

How not?

None of the changing room toilets had any seats left.   If there were any toilets to start with.

And this lad McKenzie also had to tape his bat to the ceiling.

That's mad.

He got a Test hundred at Lords.

Well maybe there was something in it then.

That's the thing you never know.   So, you think I might be able to get some new pants soon?

You should be. 

I'm not sure my pants'll last much longer. 

I'm sure they'll hang on with a bit of luck.

Aye.  I'd better start taping them to the ceiling.


2 comments:

  1. Superstition is a strange thing. Dave Bassett, while managing Sheffield United in the 90s, could not understand why his team performed so poorly before Christmas yet excelled after that date. He hit on the idea of organising a team Christmas dinner in August, before the season started. The ploy proved unsuccessful however and the Blades were eventually relegated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great knowledge. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete