Thursday 10 February 2011

The Boil RIP

Fantasy Bob would like to add his small tribute to the tragic passing of Trevor Bailey this morning. 
61 tests
Batting average 29.74
132 wickets at 29.21
FB never saw him play but his early memories of cricket are heavily redolent with the Boil's contributions to Test Match Special over many years.  FB never quite understood the origin of his nickname - but he looks forward to finding out in the obituaries.

Bailey is credited with the slowest 50 in First Class cricket and is most celebrated for his epic back- to- the- wall innings against Australia in 1953.  But, as he revealed in a recent interview in CricInfo, he wasn't exclusively a blocker:
At Brisbane in 1954-55, I stepped in with England on 25 for 4, chasing Australia's 601. I stonewalled for 38 in 160 minutes. That evening I came to know that an Australian businessman had placed a $100 bet on the first Englishman to clear the fence. The next morning I duly hit Ian Johnson for only the second six of my Test career, and immediately returned to my shell. I spent the money throwing a party at the hotel, which somewhat lessened the pain of a heavy defeat.
Missed by Barnacles everywhere.  RIP

No comments:

Post a Comment