Fantasy Bob has selected his All Time Honorary Scots XI - the qualification is simple - eminent cricketers who played for Scottish clubs at some time in their career. They might have come from greater things, or go on to greater things, but at some point they graced fair Caledonia's cricket fields.
What about this for an XI?
|Fit like - an Aiberdeen loon|
- Gordon Greenidge - the West Indian great was on Greenock's books when he was Scotland's hired gun - 108 Tests, batting average 44.72
- Sadiq Mohammed - stuffy Test opener, more free flowing when he turned out for Poloc - 41 Tests for Pakistan - batting average 35.81
- Hanif Mohammed - Poloc's Shawholm was graced by the original little master - 55 tests for Pakistan - batting average 43.98
- Rohan Kanhai - played for Aberdeenshire. Another W Indian great - 79 tests - batting average 47.53 (The great cricket writer CLR James once wrote 'Kanhai would hit Test bowlers in Australia as if they were league bowlers in Scotland….....' ahem)
- Jimmy Adams - came to Royal High as a young spinner, left as a batter who would captain W Indies - 54 tests - batting average 41.26
- Kim Hughes - Australian captain at a tough time had happier years at Watsonians - 70 Tests - batting average 37.41
- Intikhab Alam - from West of Scotland to captain and manager of Pakistan - 47 Tests - 125 wickets at 35.95
- Abdul Qadir Pakistani leg spinner who played for Stenhousemuir - 67 tests - 236 wickets at 32.8.
- Terry Alderman - another Watsonian - the bowler Gooch didn't want to play against - 41 Tests - 170 wickets at 27.15
- Bob Massie - Kilmarnock and a bright but too short Test career including that miracle Test at Lords and 8 for 53. 6 Tests, 31 wickets at 20.87
- SF Barnes turned out for Carlton on a couple of occasions. Dubbed by many the best bowler ever. 27 Tests, 189 wickets at 16.43. See the Carlton website for the full story.
However Dravid cannot make the team since although he played for the Saltires in 2001 he had no club affiliation. Pity, he would have made a pretty impressive top line up with Kanhai and Greenidge and Hanif.
FB is happy to receive reminders of other greats who qualify.
(With thanks to Carlton's doughty - now bionic - groundsman for selection advice).